The Student Advising Team invites you to come and chat with us in the Department. We are here to serve you!
With the implementation of the 4-year curriculum and the adoption of the “Broad-based Admission” (BBA) policy in the Faculty of Social Sciences, there is an imminent need to enhance the mentoring/academic advising programs in the Department to ensure that students admitted under the BBA policy (i.e. the BA/BSocSc Programs) can easily get access to information about the Geography curriculum. Therefore, a Student Advising Team (SAT) is set up in the Department to provide academic advising services to students. The major tasks of the SAT include:
(1) assisting freshmen in making smooth transitions from school to University life;
(2) helping them to choose a Major (especially Geography) that fits their interests and abilities; and
(3) guiding them to set up attainable academic and personal goals.
In addition, the SAT also obliged to work with colleagues in charge of other “Program-based Admission” programs (such as the China Studies and the Double-degree) to help students to select a Concentration at the end of the first year of study. Therefore, our potential clients include students from the following three programs:
• 4-year Bachelor of Arts/Social Sciences Programs;
• 4-year China Studies Program; and
• 5-year Double-Degree Program.
The principal objective of the SAT is to promote the various Geography programs to prospective students and to inspire them to consider choosing “geography” as their major field or concentration of studies in the different programs offered by the Department. And specifically, the SAT is obligated to:
• help freshmen in the BBA, CS & DD programs to recognize their strengths in geographical studies and nurture their interest in the geography programs;
• develop strong social network among students and to foster a strong sense of belongings to the BU geographical community; and
• help students to adjust and to adapt to university life as a whole.
Currently, the SAT consists of three academic advisers: Dr. Him CHUNG, Dr. Daphne MAH and Dr. Lachlan BARBER, and Department’s Secretary Ms Tracey YIU responsible for liaising and logistic support. (See Members & Contacts).
Contacting Student Advising Team Members
|Dr. Him Chung (Office hour: by appointment)
||Office: Room AAB1223
|Dr. Daphne Mah (Office hour: by appointment)
||Office: Room AAB1231
|Dr. Lachlan Barber (Office hour: by appointment)
||Office: Room AAB1222
|Ms. Tracey Yiu
||Office: Room AAB1220